Martin Gerber Providing Early Success For Ducks
11/18/2002 Steve Carroll

Goaltender Martin Gerber was selected by the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim in the eighth round of the 2001 NHL Draft. The 28 year-old Swiss born netminder made his debut as a starter with the Mighty Ducks on October 20th in a game against Colorado.

Anaheim forward Andy McDonald posted a goal in overtime to give the Mighty Ducks a win over the Colorado Avalanche that Sunday afternoon at the Pond. It was the first win for Gerber in the National Hockey League, stopping 22-of-24 shots in his first start.

"It was really exciting, especially against Colorado," said Gerber. "It was also against my buddy at the other end (David Aebischer)."

Gerber made three starts in the month of October for the Mighty Ducks after appearing in three pre-season games. Knowing that J.S. Giguere is the number one goaltender in Anaheim, Gerber says he has been prepared in case his name is called by the coach to help the team.

"I try to be focused before every game and during the game," added Gerber. "You never know what can happen. You try to focus the best you can. I do it the same way all the time."

The 5'11", 195-pound goalie says it is important for the team to enjoy some early season success. "Obviously, this season we need every point we can get," says Gerber. "It doesn't matter how. So it was really good, especially at home to get those early points and build up something for everybody here."

Before heading out on a five game-nine day road trip to end the month of October, the Mighty Ducks earned some key points at home with a 2-2 tie against Vancouver and the one-goal victory over Colorado.

Martin Gerber played in 44 games with Farjestad of the Swedish Elite League during the 2001-2002 season. He posted a league-best 1.96 goals-against-average in the regular season. Gerber helped Farjestad capture the league championship, earning a 1.64 GAA and two shutouts in 10 playoff games.

His resume also includes three game appearances with Team Switzerland at the 2002 Olympic Games in Salt Lake City, Utah posting a 1.51 GAA and two wins in the tournament.

It appears early on that the tandem of Giguere and Gerber could be the best 1-2 combination the Mighty Ducks have ever had in goal